We spend a lot of time and energy on choosing organic food, but what about our household items?
There are hundreds of toxins in the air that we breathe from common household cleaning products. The chemical burden is taxing on our immune systems and is causing a host of problems including inflammation, damage to our endocrine system, and reproductive health just to name a few. Children are even more vulnerable as their immune systems are not yet fully formed. Detoxifying your home is cost effective and makes your space safer for children by removing potentially dangerous chemicals.
Start by installing filters on your tap water. Drinking fresh water is the best way to flush out toxins and cleanse your system. Upgrade your drinking water even further by having spring water delivered in recyclable glass containers. Avoid plastic bottles and cups as these contain harmful chemicals and are non biodegradable.
Upgrade your mattress and linens. Look for allergen-reducing pillow and mattress covers. Make the investment and switch to organic. Bedtime is our bodies’ natural time to regenerate and this will remove the extra burden of fighting off toxins while sleeping.
The average woman uses up to twelve personal-care products per day. Our skin absorbs everything into our system so look for products that will keep your body safe. A good rule of thumb to follow is if you don’t know or can’t pronounce an ingredient, don’t buy it. Skin Deep is a site that rates cosmetics and offers tips and safer options. Incorporate antioxidants into your diet and personal care routine to help fight off harmful free radicals that cause cellular damage and aging. Candles and air fresheners contain harsh fragrances; instead consider burning sage or cedar sticks to clear the air.
Look for non-toxic cleaning supplies as many common cleaners are loaded with harmful chemicals that end up in the air and on surfaces. Look for organic products or make your own with vinegar, water, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
Here are a few low-cost and effective natural cleaners that will leave your home looking and feeling so fresh and clean:
- Baking Soda has virus-killing availabilities. It cleans,deodorizes, brightens and cuts through grease.
- Castile soap is made from 100% plant oils and cuts through grease with no animal products or chemical detergents.
- Vinegar is a cleaning superhero that cuts grease, soap scum, and grime
- Lemon juice, removes mildew and mold.
- Olive oil is a health benefited oil also works as a cleaner and polisher.
- Essential oils are Naturally occurring plant compounds that make great scent additions to homemade cleaning products (use with caution as it can irritate and trigger allergies).